Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wednesday evening

All,
Sick guy here.
Well, i am over my emotion from earlier. Here is the rundown for today:
The dr. appointment was at 10:15. By 10:30 i was again free from any connection to an appliance. By 10:45 it was obvious that i was once again failing my test. All the prep from the week gone by, well, went by. The doctor wanted to do a cystoscopic exam later in the day and wanted to replace Mr. Foley! I asked for a little time off to see if the system would somehow jump-start. He agreed, but gave me a 1:00 deadline. If the flow was not on by then, I had to phone him to schedule the cysto exam.
You are ahead of my aren't you? One came and I called. There was a series of miscommunications before the receptionist from the surgery center phoned and asked if I were coming or not. I told her I was just waiting on the call. She said be here in 15 minutes. At 3:45
we ran from the house headed for the surgery center at Kennestone.
As soon as we arrived the took me back for the prep and procedure. I asked for Valium. They laughed. I was dead serious. Hey, if I have to go through all this poking and prodding I thought it wouldn't be too much to ask to be comfortable; or at least drugged to the point I didn't care that i was about to be humiliated (with an audience) and prodded in a most unpleasant way. Still no Valium.
The scope resembled a black industrial strength hose you might see at a service station or fire truck. There was a little light on the tip. I guess the doc might not have good night vision. I asked him if he needed a map. He did not.
Once the truck pulled the scope from me the doc was all smiles.
"No need for the laser! You have an infected and inflamed prostate." Well, normally that would not be good news. Anything short of a death sentence sounds good these days! "So what are we going to do?" I asked. I am going to change your antibiotic and you will come back in two weeks. Any smart person would have just let that be enough. Nobody has ever accused me of being smart. "What about my current inability to void?" I asked naively. "We will replace the Foley for the next two weeks." He said that as he motioned to Bubba who stood in the corner with the Foley and was all smiles. Bubba learned to perform this delicate maneuver while running barbed wire on a ranch somewhere in the desert southwest where they have no gloves and no hand lotion.
Once the appliance was sufficiently imp ailed, he shook my hand and congratulated me. In a moment of complete pain and weakness I actually said, "Thank you." Did I say that i have never been accused of being smart?
I requested a wheel chair to make my exit. They laughed. I guess it is with my Valium.
When i checked out I told the young lady that I had lost something since i saw her. She asked what it was. I said, "my dignity. If you see it will you please call?" She checked her paper work to make sure she had my number. Now I know what happened to my Valium.
After we left I took a few moments to lament my situation. Lamentation is one thing that requires no movement at all below the belt.
After a well applied internal poultice of hamburger my spirits were lifted. Next time i take the hamburger before the doc visit.
i am well. i am in a holding pattern for the next two weeks. As far as i am concerned, The Lord missed a good chance to return a few weeks ago.
I do so hope this post is taken well. If not, let me suggest a cystoscopic exam. I just had one and it has changed me!
Blessings,
PA

17 comments:

barbara gunter said...

Aaron, Aaron, Aaron (and Denise),
This is my first time to "comment" because I do not understand computers worth a toot, so here goes. Neil and I have kept up with your "Aaron and Foley's Big Adventure" since the onset and have prayed, sighed, worried, and now laughed. You missed your calling, preacher. You need to write comedy!!!. I shared this last blog with Neil and our son-in-law, Mike and I could see both of them cross their legs in empathy as you described your "adventure". Seriously, we will be praying for your dependence on Foley to diminish as these next few days go by and that you won't have to be "changed" so soon again; at least in this life.
Take care. We love you both
Neil and Barbara Gunter

Susan said...

I am so glad through all this you still have your sense of humor! This blog will be an easy book to publish! We are praying!
The Hofacker's

Unknown said...

After today, I am sure you could add another line or two just before the ending of "If." I really wish I could spell ya. Let me know when you need a diversion.

Scott Stewart said...

Aaron, I hope you making a manuscript to follow this journey in your life. I know you are not enjoying this, but you make it sound like such an adventure. Keep up your sense of humor. We love you and Denise and hope to see you both soon. Judy and Scott

Anonymous said...

Well. . .I've had that inflamed, irritated, prostate thingy trouble you are talking about. But I've got bad news. . .of the two avenues for determining the root cause, the one your trying to get working ain't the one they used to diagnosis mine.

Smiled didn't you.

Love you man. Keep up the comedy.

Chris

The Jones Family said...

Hey....So sorry for your experience!! Although I did laugh so hard that Andy came to check on me. He said he would rather have the valium......:)
Funny story...when he was still extremely medicated from his open heart surgery,(actually it was my second visit to see him in the unit after surgery) and he was having a Foley adventure himself, he smiled at me and said, "You know what? I am just laying here, looking into your eyes, whizzing all over myself, and I don't even care." At least he had the medication! I assure you, he paid for it the next day when he was moved to a regular room. I hope this made you smile...:)

Praying that all things begin working properly soon!!!

Love you guys!
Andy and 'Jennifer' Jones

Lewis J Payne said...

PA

I read this at 5am in the morning. By the time I was finished everyone in the house was awake. Indiana Jones has nothing on you for adventure.

My prayer at this point will be that God spare you from the Mars Land Rover, for it sounds like you have already been introduced to the Hubble.

I hope there are "exit only" signs posted on your body from here on out. May you never have to meet Bubba again. And if you do, I trust the tables are turned in such a way, he will need your Valium. If they can find it. If not, .........!

You both are in my prayers



A

Russ and Sandy said...

Brother A,

We hate that you continue to have to go through this stuff. Just try to hang in there. We can now put the prayer bulls-eye on that prostate. I guess we can thank the Lord no laser was involved. I saw Star Wars so I know what those lasers can do.

Let's hope Bubba took off his watch and rings - I'd hate for them to call you back and have to look for them.

We love you both, R S & C

Millie said...

Oh, Aaron! You have been through so much and yet you continue to see the humor in all of it. Even when we know you feel anything but humor, you make us laugh. You have so many people who love you and we are all praying for complete healing and ceasation from all the pain. You and Denise are special people to us and we can't wait to have you back where you both belong. God bless you and keep you at peace. Love, Millie

Robyn E said...

PA,
I too see and enjoy the humor. But, i think it is coming from a place of desperation. The humor has to be almost a bit of crazyness after what you both have been through. It's good to know you can laugh through the fear and tears. That's evidence of real joy. Listen, you know enough people that I bet next time we can find that valium. You didn't hear that from me though.

Love and continued prayers to both,
Robyn
P.S.
Darren would be glad to go with you to "take care of Bubba" if you need him to.

Allen of Christ said...

Hey Aaron,
So glad your home and recovering, though it sounds as if an East German Gulog would have better bed side manner than the kind gentle souls you are having to endure. I have been told that the Egg Plant Parmisianno from Scallinis is good for indusing labor, perhaps it could be a help here as well to getting Mr. Foley to get lost.
I love you guys so much. Hang in there and please let me know if we can do anything.

The Brocks said...

Bro. Aaron,
We are praying for you and thinking about you and Denise all the time! Keep up the positive attitude! Love you!
Lee & Addie Brock

Roxanne Hill said...

So glad to see you still have your sense of humor. I laughed out loud at your description of the events. You should write a book. Thankful for your improved strength and continuing the prayers for total recovery. Bless you both.
Roxanne Hill

Houghs said...

As we posted one time before, if it isn't one thing, it's a hundred...

Pastor, I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I feel guilty laughing when I know that you're going through all of this, but it's your fault if I do! Your posts will form a terrific book of encouragement for the next guy who ventures down to Palms of Pasadena in a storm of fear. If he doesn't know Jesus Christ, he'll find an even bigger Gift than your encouragment and humor.

You are hysterical! I do have a question...remember when you told us a long time ago that your PT asked if you wanted to speak in tongues? Maybe he was Bubba's brother.

Really cheering for a great day for you and Denise...
Leigh

Anonymous said...

I would not want to trade places with you, seriously. I was hurt, in pain, embarrased and lost my diginity just reading what you have been through. However, I continue to pray and know that God is in control and will bring you through in His time.

Love you brother.

Joe

Unknown said...

Aaron, I recall Jerry Clower warned, "Do not go to a procto anything doctor!" Perhaps the same applies to "cysto..." :o) Our sympathies and prayers are constantly with you and we will keep reminding God about the prostate. We love you... Bob and Annette

cmiller77 said...

Brother,

Since you have opened up to share frank insights with us, I thought I might encourage you to take it easy a bit. You see, if I read your "Tuesday at home" post correctly and at face value, you have been engaged in activities that are probably prohibited for a post-major abdominal surgery patient. Your intensive "studding" in preparation for the test, as you put it, may even have inflamed that prostate and might be why your're so tired! Take it easy for a few weeks, brother! (of course, it might have just been the valium, and you really meant to type "studying", but since you brought it up...)

CWM