Sunday, August 3, 2008

day 18.1 Post I

All,
As a child we played a game called "hide and seek." One person was the seeker while all others found places to hide. The seeker or the "it" had to cover his eyes and count to some predetermined number. When the seeker finished the counting, he said, "Ready or not, here I come!"
That is how i feel this morning. About fifteen minutes ago the pouch drain was removed. For the first time in these 18 days, there is no drone of a vacuum machine keeping my pouch empty. In another hour and 19 minutes I will make my first attempt to self-intubate. Ready or not, here we go.
It has just begun to sink in that my life is now forever changed. There will never be a return to normalcy. My new normalcy will be abnormalcy. From now own, every food will be an experiment with a new system. The first day of my new life is today.
The stomach tube will be removed tomorrow if i do well today with intubation. The IV will be removed in a few minutes. My high priced bindings will be gone. Then we begin to learn how to live all over again.
If i do well today; and if can succeed in the intubation process; and can repeat it every two hours for 48 hours, then i will be good to be discharged........ready or not.
Blessings,
PA

4 comments:

Janice Cheshire said...

Aaron,
Change your prefix from "ab" which means away from to "ad" which means toward or in the direction of. You have become "adnormal". We all have our physical crosses to bear; those with more difficult problems, have a higher calling to suffer for Christ. Count it a blessing dear Pastor to be counted worthy. Look at it this way, everything is in "front", nothing lies "behind".
You are gifted and loved. God is with you. That is all you need. You can do it!!!!
Continuing to pray,
Janice

Millie said...

Aaron,
I hope you could feel the love and prayers with you today. You have been so much on everyone's mind and in our prayers for these last days and weeks and you have lifted us up with your spirit. I know that God will continue to bless and use both you and Denise to spread His Word and show his glory. And he will be with you as you learn to live with your new body and continue to prepare you for the day when this earthly body is no longer needed. Love you, Millie

philjpark said...

Aaron,

To say that there have been some major changes in my life over the last 2 years would be an understatement (it will be 1 year on August 18th!!). I'm so thankful that you had an opportunity to be a part of that. I'm reminded that no matter what challenges are placed before me, I know that God will always lead me through them, just as he will lead you through these next days. Glad to hear that recovery is going well and your ministry continues even in the midst of your suffering. Know that you and Denise are always in our prayers and we can't wait to see you again!

p.s....glad that I haven't fallen over yet reading all this...Stacy's not here to pick me up off the floor!! haha

Pam said...

Aaron,
Almost 3 yrs ago normal left our lives and God had a man there to stand in the gap while we learned the new normal. His prayer, laughter and encouragement always reminded us that we were going to be okay. As the line forms of those who wish to stand in the gap on your path to the new normal, please know that Jerry and I will be there front and center. We now are praying, we now are encouraging, and we look forward to the day we can all sit down and laugh.

We miss you guys,
Jerry and Pam Moss